DIY Network’s “Extra Yardage”: Billy Derian Shows YOU How to Turn Your Yard into a Garden of Eden!
Maybe the economy is still biting you– particularly here in LA/So. California. Trust me when I tell you that the recession still looms over California as a whole and even more so over So. California.
Just in the nick of time, DIY Network launches this cool new show called
Extra Yardage, (Tuesday, April 5 at 10:30 p.m. ET/7:30 PT) which follows landscape designer and builder Billy Derian as he helps home-owners transform neglected decks, patios and yards into world-class outdoor entertainment spaces using the latest designs, materials and concepts.
In each half-hour episode (!!!!), he offers viewers new ideas on how to transform an outdoor space; from outdoor kitchens, theaters, sports-bar-themed spaces, and more. With an eye for big-time makeovers, Derian gives homeowners a new look at life outside the box.
“Tuscan Transformation” Episode 101 Premieres April 5 at 10:30 p.m. Exterior Designer Billy Derian tackles turns a scary, weed-choked backyard into a lush, Tuscan-inspired oasis.
Show #1- How to play in the MUD (and I don’t mean dirt!)
For more than 25 years, he has been the innovator of many of today’s most exciting trends in exterior improvement. His design skills were honed in Southern California, where he took part in every aspect of the design and labor process. From digging trenches, plumbing and installing hardscapes to the “nuts and bolts” of masonry and rebar placement, Derian has a deep appreciation for the restoration process from start-to-finish and takes great pride in his sense of style and individuality. Winner of numerous IPSA design awards, his talents are always in high demand from Hollywood’s elite to middle-class American families.
Tuscan Transformation: the real deal!
WOW!!! What a transformation!!
“Family-Friendly Backyard” Episode 102 Premieres April 12 at 10:30 p.m.
Exterior Designer Billy Derian helps a young family turn their backyard dustbowl into a whimsical children’s play palace perfect for birthday bashes and barbecues.
Podcast interview with Billy Derian about Extra Yardage and what you will see tonight and in future episodes on this DIY channel!!
Photos from Episode 5!!
Pre-work– as it’s going!!
Post-project glamarama yard!!
What you need to know about Billy Derian and Extra Yardage? Check out the crib notes:
· He is from Huntington Beach, Calif., but currently lives in Los Angeles.
· His business, b2 Design & Media Group, is based in Simi Valley. He calls it a hardscape/landscape family business.
· Billy is one of the first designers and the winner of HGTV’s Landscaper’s Challenge (first season, episodes 11 & 12).
· He has 25 years of experience designing and renovating the backyards of Los Angeles.
· He defines himself as “hands-on” and a “true DIYer.” He says he is a self-taught project manager compared to other designers in the field who have been professionally trained.
· He feels he stands out from other landscape designers because he understands/has experience with the basics of construction.
· He feels the new landscaping trend is “fusion design,” which he describes as Asian Minimalist and Modern Industrial (i.e. Industrial with indigenous plants). He says this is a juxtaposition of harsh (industrial) and soft (indigenous plants add comfort). He also feels modern and industrial lend better to being “green” (i.e. solar panels).
· He has owned 24 homes in his life that he rehabbed.
· He feels his signature is “face lifting,” which he defines as freshening something up and using it for its original purpose/existing use (i.e. renovating an old fireplace and making it current and useful today). He feels this is different than repurposing as most repurposed items are used for something other than their original purpose/intent.
· Extra Yardage shoots within 50 miles of Van Nuys in locations such as San Fernando, Eagle Rock, Downtown, Inglewood, Agoura Hills, Simi Valley, etc.
Do NOT miss this show on the DIY Network . While you might be back in the land of wet, cold & snow– there is time for you to watch this and plan what you are going to do to rehab your backyard by yourself — or with friends! It’s not impossible and this show (particularly this show) will show you hands on techniques that will make it easier, faster and less expensive for you to make your home look better and be worth more money for LESS!!
Thankyou Billy Derian for your time!! You rock!! I definitely want to learn how to use some of the heavy duty machinery.
Stevie Wilson, LA-Story.com
If you want to feature content from LA-Story.com, please remember to linkback to the specific page & please email the link to email@example.com
LA-Story.com, LA-Story Recessionista, Celebrity Stylescope, Celebrity Style Slam Trademark/Copyright: KBP Inc. 2007-11