Platinum Guild Sparkles and Dazzles at the Oscars with Jewelry and NewBeautyMagazine !!! FASHIONTRIBES BLOG and PODCAST !
PODCAST: The 2006 Oscar Suites: Colored Stones, Diamonds Galore, & Impressive Price Tags (Like a $1 million Ice-Encrusted Frock) Rule the Day at the Platinum Guild. FASHIONTRIBES BLOG & PODCAST – MP3 File
Stevie Wilson reports from the 2006 Oscar Suites & chats with Michael O’Connor of the Platinum Guild, which laid out a $16 million dollar spread for celebs to choose from.
What’s cool about the Platinum Guild is that they always provide you the best of the best– and everything else seems to pale in comparison– from food to participating brands to the jewelry themselves. Moving to the Mondrian Hotel Penthouse ( that famed hotel on Sunset, high in the Hollywood Hills) , we arrived on a dismal rainy AM but the feeling inside the suite was anything but dismal or rainy. Popping with action, the camera crews from various tv crews both national and internationl were running around shooting for sound bytes with Jewelry and Fashion Expert, Michael O’Connor. Getting celebrities and stylists to show up was no problem despite traffic and tons of rain. Jaguar to the rescue! Jaguar provided chauffeured limo service to and from for stylists and celebs! What a way to kick off Oscar week!
While we wait our turn to speak to Michael (and thankfully, it was a pleasant wait).. we had lots to keep us busy.
NewBeauty Magazine rocked half the penthouse with cutting edge treatments for face and body. Cool brands were involved in showing off great treatments. On hand to represent New Beauty Magazine was:
Editor-at-Large, Marie Czenko Kuechel;
Editorial Director, Yolanda E. Yoh; and
Managing and Beauty Editor, Paige Herman;
NewBeauty participated to inform guests about cutting edge products so that they may make educated and proper decisions on skin care, anti-aging and cosmetic procedures.
- Signature facials were available from Actifirm– (once you try this line of products and facials, there’s no going back!). People –men and women were test-driving this very serious skincare line and coming out all pink and rosy.. VERY cool.
- Consultations with Osmotics and their new products like Eye Surgery which reduce dark circles 3 times faster than anything I have every seen. George Smart from Osmotics did this amazing treatment on me (I was almost the poster child for this treatment for Good Morning LA.. Thankfully I was done before they hit that part of the suite so that I wouldn’t break the lens. There was video coverage and here’s the link to see it Omsotics and New Beauty Editor on CNN.
- George Smart from Osmotics was doing "box office boffo" at the Osmotics table– doing great treatments: the Osmotics LED: Photorejuvenation Facial that banished undereye circles and lines and thankfully he did me early so that I looked fabulous the rest of the day.
- Per-fekt is this ‘second skin’ color gel that smoothes, disguises, and perfekts your imperfections such as enlarged pores, fine lines, wrinkles, and uneven skin tones. Enriched with antioxidants including alpha lipoic acid, vitamins A and E to help repair, protect, and fight future environmental skin damage, this lightweight gel helps hydrate hydrate the skin for a healthy, even glow by locking in moisture and absorbing excess skin oils. This stuff is luscious.; it feels so good going on the face. YUM.. lots of nice colors too. Talking to creator Richard Anderson helped me realize that I can use this instead of makeup and be getting great skin PLUS have effective treatment in one easy application. YUMMY!
- Jessica Nail Treatments were hot .. and everyone wanted a manicure and the lush treatments from Jessica Nails — the key to perfect Hollywood nails!
- NV Perricone, MD representatives performed dietary consultations.
Once done with the NewBeauty Magazine suite, we moved back to talk to
Michael O’Connor the world reknowned jewelry and style expert about what was HOT for Oscar week.
There was a lot of bling and sparklers on these tables and already 30+ pieces had been borrrowed by stylists the day before, but you would never notice it. It’s boggles the mind to see so much jewelry. After all the TV crews left, I had a chance to chat with Michael and it was pure gemological bliss!
The Black Orloff diamond. A 68 carat wonder originally owned by Catherine the Great, and passed down through the Russian royal family. According to O’Connor, it would be perfect for a Judi Dench or any other such grande dames capable of "a great statement look." Now tell me , who wouldn’t want that in their Christmas stocking–hmmm? It’s astonishing to see up close and it’s almost intimidating as it requires a real personality to wear it!
For the pale hair & skin Felicity Huffman types, O’Connor recommends platinum and white diamond combinations, especially the necklace featuring $800,000 worth of Asscher-cut ice.
A one-of-a-kind $250,000 piece by a designer in China called "River" – matte finished & high polished platinum, onyx, diamonds, crystals & interconnecting little segments that make the piece look like a running river in the sunlight – finished off with platinum streamers down the back of the dress. This piece was incredible. More than just jewelry, it as a piece of wear-able art and moved along with the person so it "flowed" like a river and would have to be the center piece of the outfit, the gown being a subtle backdrop to set off the RIVER of diamonds and platinum. GORGEOUS!!! Unfortunately, no photo!
Earrings are always popular, especially anything with length & movement as favored by Reese Witherspoon. Ganjam from India, involve tasseled platinum with diamonds & a green emerald for just under $200,000.
Jeannette Fossa’s jewelry is always stellar and these rough hewn ruby crystal number encrusted with ruby briolettes are to die for– and who wouldn’t want to wear them.
Diamond chokers & hairpins – especially made from perfectly cut Hearts on Fire diamonds.
The $1 million halter-style dress, made from 2 pounds of platinum, 300 carats of diamonds & cascading strands of platinum & diamonds. The dress was phenomenal and amazing and heavy as sin. So for most of us– stars too– they would prefer to wear something a little less heavy in diamonds and platinum and the Hearts on Fire Strand of diamonds set in platinum make the grade.
For guys – younger fellas can rock a $250,000 bling-encrusted watch from Jacob & Company, a masculine diamond bracelet, or a winged lion pendant necklace. For the less bling-inclined: cufflinks & shirt studs, or a platinum & diamond lapel pin in nature-inspired shapes like a clover, or a diamond pave bunny.
Along with the beauty treatments and jewelry treats, the party atmosphere continued courtesy of AquaBar who provided an assortment of waters at the Aquabar’s Hydration Station®. The Station –an elegant, custom-designed oasis replete with orchids, moss, and sandstone–featured the healthiest and most refreshing liquids such as Fine Japanese Artesian Water, airforce Nutrisoda®, Flo – First Liquid Obsession, Metromint, and Harrogate Spa Water, the official water of Buckingham Palace and England’s Royal Family. I got to sample the coolest energy beverage that tasted fantastic and managed to finagle a couple extra cans for the road. The Hydration Station was quite popular– more so than the champagne and other sodas simply because the waters were so unique. Each had a different taste and "mouth-feel".
For more 411 on these waters– and where to purchase them (and YOU DO WANT THEM!!!), visit www.aquabar.ws
Yes there were swag bags galore! Want to know what was in them? Check back for another post on the sizzler goody bag from the Platinum Guild.
Stevie Wilson & Lesley Scott
Fashiontribes Beauty Buzz Blog Academy Awards Platinum Guild Jewelry Jewelry & Accessories Los Angeles Red Carpet Fashion Mondrian Hotel Diamonds NewBeauty Magazine Jaguar Celebrities Fashion Expert Beauty Expert Style Expert Insider Look Michael O’Connor Oscar Suite