What Bling Will the Stars Be Sporting at the Golden Globe Awards? It All Starts at the GG "Suites" Like the One Hosted by the Platinum Guild International. Jewelry Expert Michael O'Connor Dishes on the Trends. FASHIONTRIBES FASHION JEWELRY BLOG & PODCAST
PODCAST: What Bling Will the Stars Be Sporting at the Golden Globe Awards? It All Starts at the GG "Suites" Like the One Hosted by the Platinum Guild International. Jewelry Expert Michael O’Connor Dishes on the Trends. FASHIONTRIBES FASHION JEWELRY BLOG & PODCAST – MP3 File
When award season descends upon LA, it’s like Hollywood suddenly becomes LA-LA Land and the town sizzles with the electricity and excitment that comes with the influx of celebrities and media along with the dazzling array of products and more specifically jewelry that is suddenly taken out of the vaults and brought out for the celeb and stylist perusal.
The Golden Globe "suites" are magical places where you get to "shop" to your heart’s content, no credit card required….actually, they are where the stars ( should they appear) & (typically) their stylists/posse/handlers congregate before major award shows to pick out what the celebs will be wearing on the big night.
As Fashiontribes’ intrepid West Coast Blogger, me –lil Stevie Wilson, got the lowdown – on what’s hot in this exclusive podcast interview with Michael O’Connor — jewelry and style expert ( Today Show; QVC!!!) at the Platinum Guild International Suite (where over 40 influential jewelers show their wares) – on the red carpet jewelry trends for this year’s Golden Globes:
- LAYERS Neil Lane showed a gorge platinum/diamond chain combo that can be double, triple & even quadruple-looped around the neck
This stunning piece from Neil Lane is one of the most versatile pieces since it can be worn long as a rope or looped twice, three or even four times for the most unusual effect. It rocks and gets you a lot of bang for your platinum buck.
- HAIR CLIPS Especially the sort that J.Lo sported at her wedding
Shown below are the exact same Neil Lane clips that JLo wore at her wedding. If it’s good enough for the queen of bling, it’s good enough for us!! It features a new way to bringing a bit of Hollywood dazzle when your gown might not be right for a dazzler necklace. Hair clips get you coming and going without having to worry about dropping them.
- CUFFLINKS Celebs like Ryan Seacrest will be sporting platinum & diamond versions
Men’s jewelry is back in a big way baybee.. It’s great, gorgeous and stunning.– and guys are finally turning to elegant jewelry that shows sophistication yet fun too.
- ROMANTIC Look out for romantic jewelry featuring pale blue moonstones, & set off with other gemstones such as rubies, diamonds & of course, platinum
The blue moonstones are these exquisite pale blue stones and set in this platinum necklace gives off an almost ‘other-worldly’ feel to this gorgeous piece.
- ROMANTIC GOTHIC Again, that layered look, but with colored stones such as golden-hued emeralds
Erica Courtney is known in LA for her edgy designs amongst some very contemporary pieces that she does as well. This ring bridges the gap between gothic influences and romantic design with a ring that embraces the yellow beryl stone much like a lover would. The photo shown here is not the same ring but gives you an idea of the feel and spark.
- EXOTIC One popular piece was a platinum & pave diamond ring for the middle finger, which attaches to a "spiderweb" on the back of the hand and connects to a bracelet
Rock & Roll meets Moroccan influences in this "slave bracelet" by Erica Courtney the platinum threads are so delicate; the diamonds tiny dots of sparkling light and the web and ring make the bracelet sizzle. The image of this is amazing!
- OLD HOLLYWOOD Such as diamond/sapphire combinations (very Art Deco)
The is a new version of Old Hollywood jewelry. This diamond centerpiece blows you away with the "wow" factor of carats and sparkle while the graduated beads of sapphire (strung much like graduated pearls) show deep blue against the skin and highlight the flash and vibrant light of the diamonds.
- PINS Bow pins featuring baguette diamonds were big this year…according to O’Connor, a baguette cut is the one to wear on the red carpet to get maximum blinding flash’age
Huge bow pins done in a more retro style to be worn on dresses, in hair or on handbags to create a more fun element and still show that Hollywood glamour hasn’t vanished! Other more modern styles were also popular with stylists who wanted a sleek effect with these pins by Etienne Perret
- DRAPED NECK-PIECES unusual materials such as carved jade pieces strung together with platinum threads
Ricardo Basta is known for his unusual presentation in jewelry. His attention to detail captures hearts (and credit cards) all the time! His believes that the front and back should have a beautiful finish and thus the back of this stunning assymetrical multiple section necklace is done in mesh platinum threads as well as leaves and more. The photos tell the entire story. This is a stunning piece that lays on the collarbone and will be sparkling with diamonds and radiating the peaceful jade vibe.
- LONG EARRINGS Need we say more?
These phenomenal earrings are indicative of the type of long dangling earrings that are stunning and move as you move. The diamonds sparkle and catch the light and no better way to make yourself the center of attention! These are the "kites" that Michael O’ Connor has spoken about in the podcast.
- PLATINUM & RUBBER CORD A striking silver & black look which, along with onyx & platinum, O’Connor expects to be quite popular
This is men’s jewelry at it’s most fashion forward and unique. The platinum dogtags are terrific and different and worn either on a chain or a rubber cord. The embellished cufflinks were stunning and one pair of smoky quartz was drilled and had diamonds set into the quartz! How’s that for the ultimate in luxe!
- RETRO from Victorian to Art Deco, the past is hot
Sheila Goldfinger has put together the most amazing collection of vintage jewelry and vintage inspired pieces. The diamonds and platinum are set off by onyx and it’s a look that is so reminscent of Hollywood GLAMOUR that you wish you could go play dress-up!
- GI-NORMOUS COCKTAIL RINGS such as those that dominated the J.Lo Louis Vuitton ads & seen on Sarah Jessica Parker
These huge gum-ball sized diamond and platnim pieces are definitely not for the timid –or those of weak wrists!
My thanks to Michael O’Connor for his expertise and my appreciation for his patience and help with this podcast! You Rock!