Celebrity Stylist Barbra Horowitz Asks: What Happens When Life Happens? What Are You Wearing?
Barbra Horowitz is Hollywood “go-to” girl– for celebrity styling, personal shopping & styling and closet-clean-up!
She is a personal stylist, on-air personality and West Coast fashion correspondent for British Vogue online, and now author of the new book Closet Control., (You can find the book at Barnes & Noble online and in stores. )
Barbra sent LA-Story an idea that blossomed into her writing this amazing piece on how to work your closet (and you better buy her book too)! Thanks to Barbra, there are no more ‘ 4 outfits and you are ready’ days.
Have you ever had one of those days where you wake up thinking “It’s going to be a great day?” BUT all of a sudden your dog has to be rushed to the vet, your gas tank is on empty and OH YIPPEE the parking meter you parked in is broken. Don’t some days feel like the “most dramatic rose ceremony EVER?”
I’m fairly certain, what you will wear today never made it on your TO DO list. As your fashion fairy godmother what you are going to wear needs to be at the very top of that list. But what if you are from the “I HAVE TOO MUCH TO DO” camp or how about the ‘IS WHAT IT IS camp or my personal favorite “IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT I WEAR” camp. Well, I want to share something with you? It always MATTERS how you show up to your own life and here’s why.
I want you to consider that getting dressed WELL is just as IMPORTANT as what you KNOW. In fact an appealing appearance is the bow on the gift of your own expertise and knowledge. People like shiny, pretty people.
Let’s talk about who you are in your life.
Are you a stay at home mom? If so, there’s a new mom in town and she CARES what she’s wearing. Gone is sweatsuit mom from 5 years ago. Your children want to look up to you and be proud of you. When you make an effort your children make an effort.
If you work at home where no one will see you – Guess what you’re going to have to go to Whole foods at some point and will have to be seen by other humans. Who knows who you could run into?
If you are a lawyer, doctor, investment banker with over 10 years experience. The next gen gal KNOWS that she knows and wants to dress well now. No more dressing to get into the boys club cuz the boys are all getting laid off.
It’s not only OK to care what you look like it’s imperative to your SUCCESS…
Are you thinking this all sounds great BUT:
• I hate everything I own.
• I don’t know how to put clothing together.
• I don’t have extra money to go shopping
Here are some tips for you to create your own winning signature look.
1. The Fall 09 collections are wrapping up right now. you can have your very own front row seat on Style.com or Vogue.co.uk. At first, pick the collections that you have heard of and zero in on one that is your absolute favorite. Pick a designer that’s point of view is similar to your life. Look at the color palette and the textures and most importantly how the collection has been styled. (i.e.-accessories. Jewelry, boots, shoes, pantyhose, tights.)
2. Next go into your wardrobe and see what you have that’s similar in color palette, texture and most importantly what accessories you have to style your clothing with.
3. Make a list of what you had nothing similar too. Coats, skinny pants, patterned and textured tops..
4. Fashion is a season ahead completing this exercise will allow you to begin thinking ahead. Looking for the pieces that you need to fill in by the time Fall rolls around.
5. Spring is the season that we are going into. Pick up this month’s Bazaar, Lucky or Elle. The March issue is the second most important issue to the September issue for what will be trending. Get in the habit of just scanning, forget reading just let the clothing that attracts you attract you and let the rest of it go. Then return to steps 2 and 3.
6. If you don’t want to look at the collections, read a magazine. Watch the awards shows and the street stories on the celebs day to day life. These will also cue you into what’s happening (i.e. People.com, Eonline or Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood).
7. Expand your mind begin looking at fashion on the street, in your group of friends, who do you connect with style wise? Mirror it for your self.
You send powerful signals with your wardrobe and if these signals are connected in an interesting and creative way it speaks volumes before you even have to.
Thank you for all the great pictures last week. I had a great time connecting with you and helping you say GOOD BYE to your shelppy selves and HELLO to your fabulous self.
What are you Wearing?
More about Barbra Horowitz:
Barbra has worked with fashion models and celebrities but her true passion is playing the role of “The People’s Stylist“, spreading the word that working with an image consultant is not just for the red carpet or the rich and famous anymore.
A nationally recognized personal stylist, Barbra is frequently flown around the country to work with women and men, teaching them her “eco-selfish” and economical approach to fashion. As Barbra likes to say, “I am not hugging trees, but there are shades of green in everything I do.”
Barbra launched a line of re-cut tee shirts called Rigged Tee Shirt Couture, carried by Los Angeles high end boutiques Fred Segal and Madison. Later she created the Rigged Tee Party, where she would custom cut her tops for party guests. To date, Barbra has deconstructed more than 3,000 tops at Tee Parties hosted by both individuals and corporations, including Guess, Miss Sixty, Sony and Nike.
Barbra is the host of her own Internet radio program “Fashion 411 – It’s Never Just About The Clothing!” on Karma Sol every Wednesday.
Barbra now offers personal styling services online: “My Virtual Styling Services lets people work with me from all over the world. With a webcam and laptop, the possibilities are endless.”
Barbra Horowitz and her work have been featured in People, Rolling Stone, The Chicago Tribune, The Los Angeles Times, LA Weekly, and DailyCandy.com, as well as numerous fashion trend blogs.
YOU NEED Barbra Horowitz to help you– either in person, via virtual styling or through her book. She’s a wealth of information and fashion ability.
You also need her book Closet Control available at Barnes and Noble.!
Thanks to Barbra Horowitz for her ‘nick of time’ article that fit in perfectly with the social, fashion and economic landscape.