Fire Up that Grill for Awesome Food for Memorial Day with Tips from Chef Kalil & Chef Benton
Memorial Day and the entire summer means it’s PARTY time–whether it’s inviting just a couple of people over at the last minute or getting serious about a party with all the fixings. Frito-Lay Executive Chef Stephen Kalil and Specialty Chef Jody Benton recently gave me some awesome tips and ideas (not to mention recipes) on what to fix/serve and eat over this holiday (or any) weekend!
You might want to download the podcast on this video so you can take notes on what to buy for your shopping list. There are some great recipes here.
Ruffles® Potato Chip Stuffed Gorgonzola Bacon Slider Burgers with
Ruffles® Loaded Bacon & Cheddar Potato Skins flavored potato chips
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes Servings: 16
– 2 lbs 80/20 ground chuck
– ½ lb gorgonzola cheese
– 16 potato rolls
– 16 slides thick bacon, cooked
– 2 red onions, sliced ¼” think
– 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
– 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 bag Ruffles® Loaded Bacon & Cheddar Potato Skins flavored potato chipsDirections
1) Divide the ground beef into 32 one ounce balls.
2) Flatten the meat balls between two pieces of plastic wrap into 2 1/2 to 3 inch thin rounds.
3) Divide the gorgonzola into the center of half of the burger rounds, then place another round on top and press down evenly to form the slider burgers.
4) Toss the sliced red onions with the vinegar, oil and a little salt and pepper and place on a hot grill for about 3 or 4 minutes, then turn over and cook 3 or 4 minutes more. Remove from the grill and set aside.
5) Season each slider patty with salt and pepper and place on the grill for about 5 minutes, then flip over and grill 3 or 4 minutes more.
6) Split and toast the potato rolls and spread with your favorite burger condiments, place one patty on the bottom bun, then top with bacon and a few Ruffles® chips and cap with the top bun and serve.
Allergens: Milk, Wheat Credit: Frito-Lay
Five Finger Sushi Ranch with Tostitos® Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips
Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 5 minutes Servings: 20
– 1 15 oz. jar of Lay’s® Smooth Ranch dip
– 2 tbsp minced pickled ginger
– 1 tbsp wasabi paste
– 1 tsp finely-minced toasted seaweed
– 1 tsp soy sauce
1) Pour the contents of one 15 oz. jar of Lay’s® Smooth Ranch dip into a large bowl
2) Add in the pickled ginger, wasabi paste and toasted seaweed
3) Stir in the soy sauce
4) Mix contents and transfer to serving bowl(s)
Allergens: Soy, Wheat Credit: Frito-Lay
Five Finger Shrimp Ceviche with Tostitos® Scoops!® tortilla chips (Serves 20)
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes
– 15.5 oz jar of Tostitos® All Natural Chunky Salsa
– ½ cup cucumber (peeled, seeded and diced in ¼” pieces)
– 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
– ½ lime juiced
– 1 cup shrimp (cooked, peeled, diced into bite-size pieces)
1) Pour the contents of one 15.5 oz. jar of Tostitos® All Natural Chunky Salsa into a large bowl
2) Add in 1 cup of cooked, peeled and diced shrimp
3) Add in ½ cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced into ¼” pieces
4) Squeeze in the juice of half a lime
5) Fold in 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
6) Mix contents and transfer to serving bowl(s)
Allergens: Shellfish Credit: Frito-Lay
Hummus Oasis Dip with SunChips® Original Flavored multigrain snacks
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Servings: 20
– 2 cups Sabra® Chipotle or Supremely Spicy Hummus, divided
– 2 cups jumbo lump crab meat, picked, divided or Dungeness
– 1 ¼ cups Sabra® Spicy Guacamole, divided
– ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
– ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
– ¼ cup olive oil
– 1 tsp. salt
– ½ bottle Zing Zang® Bloody Mary Mix
– 4 oz. premium vodka, chilled (optional)
– Variety of SunChips®
1) In a small mixing bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil and salt together
2) Toss in cilantro and hold for immediate use
3) In a drink shaker, combine bloody Mary mix, ice and premium vodka at service
4) Layer the following in order clear straight sided dish
b. jumbo lump crab meat
d. chopped cilantro
5) Pour the Bloody Mary around the salad creating a “moat”
6) Serve immediately with SunChips®
Allergens: Soy, Fish, Shellfish, Wheat
Credit: Mary Dawn Wright, Sabra, as presented at the 2011 Worlds of Flavor conference
See more recipes for drinks, snacks and other food on facebook.com
If you are going to feature content from LA-Story.com including podcasts or videos including the accompanying text, please respect copyright provisions. We require a notation of content origination (meaning credit tag), a linkback to the specific page & please email the link to email@example.com before the piece goes live.
LA-Story.com, LA-Story Recessionista, Celebrity Stylescope, Celebrity Style Slam Trademark/Copyright: KBP Inc. 2007-12