SELF Magazine’s 2013 Healthy Food Awards: Carin Gorrell Talks About Winners!
There are TONS of new food and drink options hitting the market each year, but how do you know which ones are the healthiest and, more importantly, most tasty? Wonder no more because SELF Magazine asked readers to vote for their healthy food favorites. SELF’s features director, Carin Gorrell, gives a sneak peek of some of the winners
• Thomas’ 100% Whole Wheat English Muffins. Never rush off to work in the morning without have the most important meal of the day again. This loved ‘nooks and crannies favorite has 3 grams of fiber, 25 whole grains, 120 calories and “perfectly chewy” deliciousness. Try out their new summer recipes on www.thomasbread.com.
• Healthy Choice Top Chef Chicken & Potatoes with Peach BBQ Sauce. Don’t have time to cook dinner? SELF tasters raved about this Top-Chef inspired dish filled with smoky flavors, tender chicken breast pieces and combo of roasted potatoes and sweet peaches, and nutritional value.
• Whole Food’s Organic Whole Wheat Penne Rigate is made from organic durum whole-wheat flour. In fact, the Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value brand offers great value prices 365 days a year (hence the name!) and all products are free of artificial flavors, colors, preservatives and sweeteners and never contains hydrogenated pills.
• Organic Light String Cheese (also part of the 365 Every Day Value brand) wins for best snack. Made with part-skim mozzarella, 50% less fat, 7 grams of protein, and 60 calories. Get creative with one of the string cheese recipes featured on wholefoodsmarket.com.
• Clif Crunch, a line of granola bars made with organic ingredients and whole grains, was also crowd pleaser due to its “distinct taste”. It comes in six flavors and is made with a special blend of organic whole grains and rice crisps to create a lighter textured crunch. And with zero grams of trans fat the texture won’t be the only thing feeling light, so munch on!
Go to SELF.com for the shopping list of all the winners.